A Broken Vow (A Short Story)

A Broken Vow


The pleading in her eyes, as she reached for my hands was my undoing as she stood there gazing down at me.  I should not have looked into her eyes or allowed her to touch me.  My heart was lost to her bidding as after a longing plea and a gentle tug I allowed myself to be pulled across the dance floor as the DJ blasted the next song; The Electric Slide.  


We were soon engulfed into the sea of guests on the dance floor sliding rhythmically side to side, front to back, step touch step touch in unison as we grooved doing a line dance to The Electric Slide.  Although it had been three years since I’d danced, the steps came back to me quickly and shortly thereafter, I didn’t missed a beat.  I loved to dance, and it was three line dance songs later before I took my seat again; sweaty, winded, and feeling a little guilty.


Guilty, because three years earlier I had vowed to God to live set apart from worldly things to be used only for His glory.  One of the things I had chosen to give up was secular dancing.  Nevertheless, the real issue was not dancing. The real issue was   breaking the vow.  It is written: when you make a vow to God, do not delay to fulfill it.......... It is better not to make a vow than to make one and not fulfill it. (Ecclesiastes 5:4-5 TNIV)


That was the scene at my daughter, Angela’s wedding reception one year ago. I was sitting there perfectly content with just watching the other guests enjoy dancing when Angela came up, grabbed both my hands, and pulled me up saying, “Come on Mama! It’s just the electric slide!”  Although I could deny myself the pleasure of dancing, I caved in under pressure when I heard the pleading in her voice, saw the tilt of her head, felt the pull of her hands, and the tug on my heartstrings.  As she stood before me adorned in her white wedding gown she was asking me in so many words, to loosen up and help her enjoy her special day.  So that's just what I did; I thoroughly enjoyed myself line dancing beside my daughter on her wedding day.


Nevertheless, afterwards I sat struggling within myself, and as the music faded into the recesses of my mind I began to pray, asking God’s forgiveness for breaking the vow I’d made to Him. "God, I am sinful. Against You and You alone have I sinned, and I’m sorry.  Please forgive me.  I thank You now God for the forgiveness available to me through Jesus Christ my Lord.”


The Holy Spirit comforted my heart by reminding me that unlike man, God never breaks His promises, and He promised me that if I confess my sins, He is faithful and just to forgive my sins and to cleanse me from all unrighteousness.


I don’t know if breaking the vow a year ago nullified the vow forever or not, but I have not danced since.  However, I do have one more daughter who may someday get married, and I may be sorely tempted to cut the rug again.


I am so grateful that God does not seek perfection from imperfect people, but He seeks those with repentant hearts, who diligently seek to please Him even though they are imperfect.  I praise God that His grace is sufficient, because we all occasionally fold under pressure.